DAY 1. Saturday – Board Spirit of the Outback (D)
Arrive at Platform 10, Roma Street Station, Brisbane at 1pm to meet your tour host and check-in to your first class cabin. At 1:55pm we depart on the Spirit of the Outback for a realistic, upfront view of Queensland’s captivating outback, enjoyed in the comfort of air-conditioned, authentically-themed surrounds. On our journey west we venture through the heritage towns of the Central West. Dining on board the Spirit of the Outback is an experience in itself with the themed restaurant car serving hearty Aussie meals. While the Shearers Rest first class lounge car is ideal for a quiet drink, taking time to get to know your fellow travel companions.1 Night Stay: First class cabin aboard the Spirit of the Outback
DAY 2 Sunday – Arrive Longreach (B,L,D)
Relax today and let the outback come to life in front of your eyes as we wind our way through ever-changing scenery and rugged terrain. This epic rail journey arrives into Longreach, the heart of the Queensland Outback, mid-afternoon. We then board our luxury ‘Gold Class’ coach for transfers to our hotel. 4 Night Stay: Longreach Motor Inn
DAY 3 Monday – Longreach Touring (B,L,D)
This morning be inspired by the Australian Outback and the stories of the people who shaped our nation. Many are given tribute when we visit the famous Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame where bush history slides up close to you with tales of bushrangers, shearers, stockmen and drovers. Enjoy some free time this afternoon and mix with the locals as tonight we are all aboard the MV Explorer for the Drover’s Summer Sunset Cruise on the Thomson River. Unwind with drinks and nibbles on board, watching a magnificent outback sunset all whilst the Captain will captivate you with stories about the river, its wildlife and Indigenous links.**Please note: Stockman’s Hall of Fame will be closing January to April 2020 and this attraction will be replaced with a trip to Barcaldine and enjoy some activities until its re-opening.
DAY 4 Tuesday – Longreach Touring (B,L,D)
This morning discover the Qantas Founders Museum and uncover national treasures such as the 1922 Qantas Hangar, historic photographs, memorabilia and multi-media displays that bring alive the inspirational stories of one of the world’s pioneering airlines. We then take a 1.5 hour tour of the 747 and 707 jets. We depart Longreach and make our way to Ilfracombe to visit the historic Wellshot Hotel, one of the most unique outback pubs, over one hundred years old and well worth looking through, with its woolpress bar, remarkable collection of hats and wealth of local memorabilia. Enjoy country hospitality at its best over lunch and a few ales, then join the publican and staff for some unique visitor rituals. Late this afternoon we head out to Camden Park Station to learn about life on the land with the Walker family which dates back over 3 generations. See the 100 year old shearing shed and historical homestead visited by the Queen in 1970. Enjoy sunset nibbles before making our way back to the Qantas Museum for a specialty dinner.
DAY 5 Wednesday – Winton (B,L,D)
We take a 2 hour road trip this morning enjoying the changing outback scenery as we journey from Longreach to Winton. On arrival, we take a guided tour of the Australian Age of Dinosaurs Exhibit, the world’s largest collection of unique Australian dinosaur fossils and the most productive fossil preparation laboratory in the Southern Hemisphere. A truly amazing experience perched on top of a spectacular rocky plateau where dinosaurs once roamed. Listen and learn by dinosaur enthusiasts and capture the fossil fever that has gripped the area since the first bones of gigantic Sauropod ‘Elliott’ were discovered. From here we make our way into Winton. Our afternoon takes us on a town tour for a visit and lunch at the Waltzing Matilda Centre.
DAY 6 Thursday – Board Spirit of the Outback (B,L,D)
Enjoy breakfast before departing on the Spirit of the Outback. Share stories and memories with your fellow travellers as you journey home from Longreach back to Brisbane. 1 Night Stay: First class cabin aboard the Spirit of the Outback
DAY 7 Friday – Arrive Brisbane (B)
Wake and admire the view during breakfast as we travel back to Brisbane passing the sugar cane fields and Glass House Mountains. The Spirit of the Outback is scheduled to arrive back into Brisbane at 12pm.
B = Full Breakfast MT = Morning Tea L = Lunch AT = Afternoon Tea D = Two Course Dinner
dates & pricing
- Non-refundable deposit of $600pp required to secure your reservation.
- Select the GREEN GUEST POLICY (GGP) option to help reduce pressures on our natural environment and get a reduced price of your tour. SAVE: $30PP TWIN SHARE OR $60 SOLE USE
- N.B. This package is subject to a fuel levy without notice for coach and rail components. Rail prices are correct at time of printing but are subject to change.
- All rail journeys are subject to rail disruptions without notice. Bookings cannot be cancelled or transferred if this occurs.
- Tour price is subject to:
• QPCV Queensland Aged Pensioner utilising 4 concession vouchers
• SENIOR State issued Australian Government Seniors Card and/or Queensland Aged Pensioner with no concession vouchers left
• ADULT Passengers 50+ with no valid concession cards
- ^^Saving per couple based on Queensland adult fare low season compared to adult fare high season.
- FITNESS LEVEL – A RATING OF 3 (ACTIVE/MODERATE) Passengers must be able to:-
• Participate in walking tours without having to stop or sit down to rest for up to 20 minutes
• Walk up an incline equal to a flight of stairs, without stopping
• Stand for 30 minutes, without needing to sit down
• Walk over uneven ground, tackle cobbled creek crossings & walk through soft sand
• Get on and off transportation multiple times unaided
• Manage your own luggage