Day 1. Arrive Adelaide (D)
Flights arrive into Adelaide where we officially join your tour host and local coach captain. Sit back and take in the scenery as we head up to Mount Lofty where we stop at the summit, Adelaide’s highest peak. Take in the views of the city and St Vincent Gulf before we continue down the road winding through tiny villages arriving at Australia’s oldest German village of Hahndorf. We take time here to explore the town independently, then make our way into the heart of Adelaide’s CBD to check-in to our accommodation. Our hotel is ideally set in the heart of Adelaide city overlooking Victoria Square. Enjoy some time this afternoon to explore Adelaide’s Central Market which is located next door. 1 Night: Hilton Hotel, Adelaide
Day 2. Board The Great Southern (B,MT,L,D)
This morning we board The Great Southern to begin our epic rail journey through the magical Adelaide Hills and on to the ancient, National Heritage Listed Grampians National Park, in Victoria. Take time to settle in and get familiar with your cabin, then meet your fellow travellers in the lounge car for morning tea. Have a chat and watch the stunning scenery glide by before enjoying a relaxed lunch on board, after which we arrive in the beautiful Grampians. This afternoon we have the opportunity for an off-train experience to explore this spectacular wilderness, listed for it’s outstanding natural beauty and being one of the richest Aboriginal rock art sites in south-eastern Australia. On return to The Great Southern, enjoy a sumptuous regionally-inspired dinner, complimented by local fine wines and beverages. 2 Nights: The Great Southern in Gold Service
Day 3. Canberra (B,L,D)
This morning you will wake to a totally different landscape, on our way to the Australian Capital Territory to visit the nations capital, Canberra. Sit back and relax as we journey past the agricultural lands, home to vineyards, sheep grazing and dairy herds, just to name a few, After breakfast on board, we take a scenic coach ride into Canberra to experience a truly memorable lunch and immersive touring at your choice of cultural institutions, including the National War Memorial, National Art Gallery of Australia and Parliament House, before returning to The Great Southern. Later in the day, relax and enjoy a delicious dinner and drinks in the lounge car before settling down for the night.
Day 4: Coffs Harbour to Brisbane (B,L,D)
Merry Christmas! This morning our first stop is the small station of Urunga, where we take in spectacular coastline views and the Great Dividing Range along the Urunga Boardwalk. From here we travel to Coffs Harbour for a relaxing morning wandering around the harbourside markets, historic jetty or simply relax by the seaside. The Coffs explorer excursion travels up to Sealy Lookout offering views for miles from the Forest Sky Pier before travelling back to Coffs. Otherwise, simply make the most of Coffs Harbour’s beautiful beaches with an entire morning spent seaside. Wander along the coast, have a dip in the ocean, or simply relax on the sand.
After your Coffs Harbour morning, enjoy a final lunch on board with your fellow travellers before arriving into Brisbane. We will then travel to the Stamford Plaza Hotel, Brisbane’s finest riverside hotel. Check-in to 5-star river view rooms that offer stunning vistas to the iconic Story Bridge and Kangaroo Point cliffs and lush open gardens. Tonight is our feature Christmas Day Celebration, a grand festive finale. Feast on superb seafood and Christmas traditional fare and enjoy the river views at night. 1 Night: River View Room Stamford Plaza Hotel, Brisbane
Day 5. End of Tour (B)
Breakfast at your leisure this morning as check-out time is 10am. This is where your tour concludes and you make your own way home.
B = Full Breakfast; MT = M/Tea; L = Lunch; AT = A/Tea; D = Two Course Dinner
dates & pricing
- EARLY BIRD DEAL – Save $300 per couple, $150 sole. Dec 2022. Book by 30 June 2022
- Non-refundable deposit of $1500pp required to secure your reservation.
- N.B. This package is subject to a fuel levy without notice for air and coach components.
- Flights are arranged to suit the tour as a group in advance, therefore we cannot book individual preferences or guarantee direct flights.
- Great Southern Rail twin share cabins include ensuite facilities; single cabins include a wash basin in the cabin and shared shower and toilet facilities within the carriage. All off train excursions are weather permitting/subject to change, and are at the discretion of Great Southern Railway.
- FITNESS LEVEL – A RATING OF 3 (ACTIVE/MODERATE) Passengers must be able to:-
• Participate in walking tours without having to stop or sit down to rest for up to 20 minutes
• Walk up an incline equal to a flight of stairs, without stopping
• Stand for 30 minutes, without needing to sit down
• Walk over uneven ground, tackle cobbled creek crossings & walk through soft sand
• Get on and off transportation multiple times unaided
• Manage your own luggage