Day 1. Gold Coast – Charleville – Birdsville
Check-in to the Gold Coast Seair Hangar at 6:15am, your departure sees the sun rising to the east. From here you’ll fly west over the stunning farm lands, rivers and channel country for Charleville. This central Queensland town is home to the Royal Flying Doctor Service base and museum, you’ll have a chance to visit it after landing at around 10:00am. After refuelling, continue into the Outback, crossing over the famous Cooper Creek and its remarkable channel country arriving into the historic town of Birdsville around 1:00pm where lunch will be waiting at the iconic Hotel. Regrouping at 4:30pm, climb into an airconditioned vehicle and head west into the Simpson Desert to enjoy drinks on Big Red, the first major dune as you enter the desert. After sunset, return to the Birdsville Hotel for dinner and drinks at their heritage listed front bar. Afterwards settle into your first nights’ accommodation. Overnight: Motel units at the Birdsville Hotel
Day 2. Birdsville to Longreach
Day two starts with breakfast at the Birdsville Hotel, before departing for Longreach. Fly north following the Diamantina River arriving into Longreach at 10:00am. Enjoy a quick tea and coffee break before heading to the Qantas Founders Museum where you will learn the story of Australia’s national airline from its early days in Outback Queensland. At 11:00am join a private guided tour of the airpark, home to a Boeing 707, Boeing 747, Super Constellation and DC-3 followed by lunch at the museum. At your leisure spend the afternoon strolling through the Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame and embark on a journey of pioneering history. Regrouping at 5:00pm, it’s time to climb aboard the only paddle-wheeler west of the Great Divide and enjoy a gentle sunset cruise down the majestic Thomson River. There are endless photo opportunities and insightful commentary before you head ashore for a traditional stockman’s campfire dinner. After a 2-course dinner by the campfire, you will return to Salt Bush Retreat around 9:00pm where you will settle into your accommodation for the evening and let the gentle sounds of the outback rock you to sleep. Overnight: Stables or Huts at Saltbush Retreat, Longreach
Day 3. Longreach – Lady Elliot Island – Gold Coast
After an in-room continental breakfast, depart Longreach and fly south-east over the Central Highlands and Coalfields. Looking down at rich farming lands contrasted against open cut coal mines towards Gladstone for a quick fuel stop. Your journey continues south for a spectacular scenic flight over the amazing Southern Great Barrier Reef taking in the spectacular Heron Island and Lady Musgrave Island. Swap your boots for reef shoes as you land on the Southern Great Barrier Reef, arriving at Lady Elliot Island at 11:40am. Enjoy lunch with Lagoon views before getting ready to join an afternoon private glass bottom boat/guided snorkel tour. Spend the afternoon exploring the Islands surrounds or take a reef walk at low tide (tide dependent) before departing at 4:00pm. The trip home concludes with a beautiful scenic flight to the Gold Coast.
dates & pricing
- Single travelers welcome, no single supplement applicable
- Non refundable deposit of $395 per person required to secure booking
- Final payment due 35 days prior to departure
- 100% cancellation fees apply within 30 days of departure
- Passenger weights required
- NB: Outback 2 Reef Adventure subject to minimum aircraft numbers. Tours subject to change.
- ADD ON: Sleep on the Southern Great Barrier Reef – From $599pp add an additional night to your adventure at Lady Elliot Island Eco Resort. Includes 1 night in an Eco Cabin (shared bathroom facilities), breakfast, lunch and dinner with Lagoon views, snorkel equipment (mask, snorkel & fins), glass bottom boat/guided snorkel tour and your return scenic flight to the Gold Coast *subject to availability, additional nights and accommodation types available
- A minimal level of fitness is required to gain maximum enjoyment for this tour. Travellers must be able to: Participate in guided small walking tours at a relaxed pace & get on/off transportation including aircraft and buses unaided