DAY 1 Sunday – Brisbane to Goondiwindi (MT,L,D)
Board one of our signature ‘Gold Class’ coaches at 9am from Brisbane Transit Centre as we cross the Great Dividing Range and make our way to Warwick to visit the Abbey of the Roses for a tour followed by lunch. We continue west arriving at Goondiwindi where we stop in at Goondiwindi Cotton, a fashion house icon. We arrive at our hotel in time to take a refreshing dip in the pool before meeting for dinner. 1 Night Stay: Best Western Ascot Lodge, Goondiwindi
DAY 2 Monday – WALGETT, BOURKE (B,L,D)
Departing Goondiwindi we traverse the open plains of the Gwydir Highway through Collarenebri and on to Walgett situated at the junction of the Barwon and Namoi Rivers, once a bustling river port feeding the Murray Darling River system. After lunch we continue our journey through Brewarrina, making our way to the historic outback town of Bourke. Our afternoon visit to the ‘Back O’ Bourke’ Information Centre unveils legends of the back country and this region’s importance in Australian history. 2 Night Stay: Bourke Riverside Motel **Star ratings of room types vary. Rooms are allocated at discretion of the motel staff.
DAY 3 Tuesday – PV ‘Jandra’ paddleboat CRUISE (B,MT,L,D)
This morning we enjoy a town tour with a local guide offering an in-depth insight on the town’s history, its isolation, the people who live here and the region’s current status. After lunch we travel to the outskirts of town to board the PV ‘Jandra’ paddleboat for a leisurely cruise along the mighty Darling River learning more about the region’s rich river boat history.
DAY 4 Wednesday – COBAR, Wilcannia, BROKEN HILL (B,MT,L,D)
We bid Bourke farewell and travel south along the Kidman Way to the town of Cobar for morning tea. We then make our way west along the Barrier Highway to Wilcannia where we again meet the Darling River. After lunch at the Wilcannia Golf Club we travel our last leg to the isolated mining town, Broken Hill. 2 Night Stay: Royal Exchange Hotel, Broken Hill **Please note: Hotel at Broken Hill has stair access only.
DAY 5 Thursday – BROKEN HILL & SILVERTON (B,L,D)
Enjoy a gossip tour of Broken Hill viewing heritage-listed architecture and discovering the famous art galleries, the Big Picture and the Line of Lode. Next we head to Silverton, almost a ghost town, and the setting for many famous movies. We return to Broken Hill via the vast Mundi Mundi Plains to visit the Pro Hart Gallery before visiting the Living Desert Flora & Fauna Sanctuary, taking a 2.2km walking trail. We then wait for sunset to witness the ‘Living Desert Sculptures’ nestled amongst the Barrier Ranges. This outlook takes in the magnificent colours of the desert at sunset, along with views of the distant horizon.
DAY 6 Friday – WENTWORTH, MILDURA (B,MT,L,D)
We depart Broken Hill and travel south along the Silver City Highway making our way to the New South Wales/Victorian border city of Wentworth, the junction of the Darling and the Murray, two truly mighty rivers. Our afternoon takes in historic Old Wentworth Gaol before travelling across the Murray River and on to the Victorian town of Mildura. 1 Night Stay: Mildura Inlander Resort
DAY 7 Saturday – TOOLEYBUC, SWAN HILL, ECHUCA (B,MT,L,D)
We follow the Murray River upstream through the town of Robinvale and on to our morning tea break on the banks of the river at Tooleybuc. Back on the road, we travel to Swan Hill, visiting the Pioneer Settlement for a guided tour and lunch. We then continue through Lake Boga and Kerang, arriving in Echuca, the paddle steamer capital of Australia. 2 Night Stay: Mercure Port of Echuca
DAY 8 Sunday – PS Emmylou PADDLEBOAT CRUISE (B,L,D)
After breakfast we join a local guide for a coach tour that take us through Echuca and across the bridge to Moama. Next we board the iconic PS Emmylou, a lovingly maintained paddleboat that will take us meandering between the Redgum lined banks of the mighty Murray as we enjoy lunch on the deck. The rest of the afternoon is at leisure to explore the town further.
DAY 9 Monday – The Great Aussie Beer Shed, Yarrawonga, ALBURY (B,MT,L,D)
We start our day with an intriguing tour of ‘The Great Aussie Beer Shed’, the only one of its kind in Australia. We then continue our way along the Murray River to Yarrawonga situated on Lake Mulwala, where we stop for lunch. Our afternoon takes us to Glenrowan for a visit to the Ned Kelly Museum where we witness ‘Ned Kelly’s Last Stand’, a light and sound show that is a re-enactment of the events that led up to the capture and hanging of Ned Kelly. Our day finishes as we arrive in the twin cities of Albury and Wodonga. 1 Night Stay: Quality Hotel on Olive, Albury
DAY 10 Tuesday – Gundagai, COWRA (B,L,D)
We farewell Albury and head north through Gundagai making a stop at the iconic ‘Dog on the Tuckerbox’ monument before continuing on to Cowra. We enjoy lunch at the Japanese Gardens and Cultural Centre before taking time to wander through the tranquil and inspiring displays. After checking-in we don our glad rags for a night of frivolity celebrating the magnificent elegance of the Georgian Era at historic Abercrombie House. After an introduction and pre-dinner drinks in the Drawing Room we indulge in a 4 course candlelit dinner in the Grand Ballroom with entertainment, toasts and musicians. 1 Night Stay: Quality Hotel Bathurst
DAY 11 Wednesday – Gunnedah, Tamworth, ARMIDALE (B,L,D)
We hit the road today travelling through Mudgee and Coola to Gunnedah for lunch. We then continue on to Tamworth for a break at the Big Golden Guitar before ascending the Moonbi Range to pass through Uralla and arrive in Armidale. 1 Night Stay: Quality Hotel Powerhouse, Armidale **Please note: Twin share configuration is queen bed and commercial sofa bed.
DAY 12 Thursday – GLEN INNES, STANTHORPE, BRISBANE (B,L)
Heading for home today, we break at the Standing Stones in ‘Celtic’ Glen Innes then travel to Stanthorpe for lunch at the College of Wine & Tourism before our return to Brisbane Transit Centre.
B = Full Breakfast MT = Morning Tea L = Lunch AT = Afternoon Tea D = Two Course Dinner
dates & pricing
|Twin Share||Sole Use||Departs 2017|
- Non-refundable deposit of $1000pp required to secure your reservation.
- N.B. This package is subject to a fuel levy without notice for coach component.
- FITNESS LEVEL – A RATING OF 2 (MODERATE) Passengers must be able to:-
• Participate in walking tours with time to rest at least every 10 minutes
• Walk on areas such as bush tracks and soft sand – mostly level ground
• Stand for 15 minutes, without needing to sit down
• Tackle a flight of stairs or incline
• Getting on and off transportation multiple times unaided
• Manage your own luggage
Highlights & inclusions
- Luxury ‘Gold Class’ coach travel ex Brisbane
- Abbey of the Roses tour and lunch
- 1 night Goondiwindi, Walgett
- 2 nights Bourke
- ‘Back O’ Bourke’ Information Centre
- Bourke town tour with a local guide
- PV ‘Jandra’ paddleboat Darling River cruise
- 2 nights Broken Hill
- Big Picture, Line of Lode
- Silverton, Pro Hart Gallery
- Living Desert Flora & Fauna Sanctuary walking trail
- ‘Living Desert Sculptures’ at sunset
- Old Wentworth Gaol
- 1 night Mildura; Swan Hill Pioneer Settlement
- 2 nights Echuca
- Echuca & Moama town tour with a local guide
- PS Emmylou paddleboat Murray River lunch cruise
- ‘The Great Aussie Beer Shed’
- Lake Mulwala
- ‘Ned Kelly’s Last Stand’ light and sound show, Glenrowan
- 1 night Albury
- Cowra Japanese Gardens & Cultural Centre
- 1 night Bathurst
- Abercrombie House candlelit dinner
- Big Golden Guitar, Tamworth
- 1 night Armidale
- Glen Innes Standing Stones
- Stanthorpe, College of Wine & Tourism
- 34 meals
PRE & POST TOUR EXTENDER OPTION
- 2 additional days (TOTAL 14 DAY TOUR)
- Return economy class flights ex Sydney, Melbourne or Adelaide to Brisbane
- 2 additional nights bed & breakfast in a deluxe room (1 night pre and 1 night post tour) at Hotel Jen on Roma Street, Brisbane
- Plus $795pp Twin Share
- Plus $965 Sole Use
- Subject to availability – some block out dates apply. Prices are subject to change without notice