Day 1. Saturday – Brisbane to Longreach
Guests on GET7 will depart Brisbane on the Spirit of the Outback for a first class overnight rail journey to Longreach. Overnight Spirit of the Outback First Class Rail Sleeper (GET7 guests only). The train is scheduled to depart at 1.55pm.
Day 2. Sunday – Longreach
Arrive in Longreach, the heartland of Queensland’s Outback. You will be met by your Savannah Guide Operator Driver at either Longreach Railway Station or Longreach Airport and transferred to your accommodation for the next four nights. Tonight, join your guide at a relaxed poolside barbeque at Longreach Motor Inn where you will meet fellow travellers. 4 nights Longreach Motor Inn, Longreach
Day 3. Monday – Longreach & Ilfracombe
Witness a totally different way of schooling at Longreach School of Distance Education. Tour one of the largest classrooms in the world! Learn how education is delivered in the bush using technology and inspirational teaching methods. Wander the Qantas Founders Museum and join a guided tour of the 747 and 707 jets. Late this afternoon join your tour group for a short drive to Ilfracombe. Founded in 1891, it was a transport hub for Wellshot Station, which at the time held the largest number of sheep on any station in the world. We’ll cap of the tour with an authentic pub dinner at the historic Wellshot Hotel.
Day 4. Tuesday – Winton
Travel from the Mitchell grass plains of Longreach towards the dramatic mesa country of Winton on our full day tour. We visit the Australian Age of Dinosaurs perched high on a magnificent mesa overlooking the plains where dinosaurs once roamed! Onsite dinosaur enthusiasts treat us to a top-class interpretive tour of the laboratory, collection room and Dinosaur Canyon. In Winton see the quirky Arno’s Wall, the Musical Fence and learn the story behind Australia’s unofficial national anthem at the Waltzing Matilda Centre. Return to Longreach late afternoon. Dinner tonight will be at the award-winning Harry’s Restaurant at Longreach Motor Inn.
Day 5. Wednesday – Longreach
Join our Strathmore Station Smoko Tour for an insider’s view into life on the land followed by a delicious morning tea. Explore the five themed galleries of the Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame then take your seat for the entertaining Outback Stockman’s Show. Late afternoon, board the Longreach Explorer for the Drover’s Sunset Cruise on the Thomson River. Unwind with onboard nibbles and drinks, watching a magnificent outback sunset. Enjoy a two-course table service dinner under the stars as you watch the entertaining Smithy’s Outback Dinner and Show. Top off the evening with billy-tea and freshly baked damper. *Summer Tour includes Rosebank Station Tour instead of Strathmore Station Smoko Tour
Day 6. Thursday – Longreach to Brisbane
Guests on GET5 will conclude their tour after breakfast with a complimentary transfer to your homeward bound connections. Guests on GET7 will join the Spirit of the Outback for a first class overnight rail journey back to Brisbane. Overnight Spirit of the Outback First Class Rail Sleeper (GET7 guests only)
Day 7. Friday – Brisbane
Guests on GET7 will arrive in Brisbane. The train is scheduled to arrive at 11.55am.
dates & pricing
|2020 SUMMER DEPARTURE DATES:|
|Ex Longreach: 15 Mar, 22 Mar|
|Ex Brisbane: 14 Mar, 21 Mar|
|2020 WINTER DEPARTURE DATES:|
|Ex Longreach: 19 April; 24 May; 7 June; 21 June; 9 July; 19 July; 30 Aug; 20 Sep; 18 Oct|
|Ex Brisbane: 18 April; 23 May; 6 June; 20 June; 8 July; 18 July; 29 Aug; 19 Sep; 17 Oct|
1 Apr to 31 Oct 2020
|Twin Share||Sole Use|
|Longreach to Longreach GET5||$1999||$2459|
|Price||Twin Share||Sole Use|
|Brisbane to Brisbane GET7||$2477 (QPCV)#
|PRICES (SUMMER SHOULDER)
1-30 Nov 2019 & 1-31 Mar 2020
|Twin Share||Sole Use|
|Longreach to Longreach GET5S||$1499||$1829|
|Price||Twin Share||Sole Use|
|Brisbane to Brisbane GET7S||$1927 (QPCV)#
- EARLY EMU SAVER: SAVE $100 PER PERSON FOR BOOKINGS MADE AND DEPOSITED BEFORE 31 DECEMBER 2019. VALID ON APRIL AND OCTOBER 2020 DEPARTURES ONLY.
- #QPCV – Queensland Pension Concession Rail vouchers (4).
- Itinerary subject to change.
- Rail subject to availability
- # Return Rail Package: Aust. Govt. Senior Card Holder Rail (Qld Rail Travel Shoulder Season Buy 1 Fare, get 2nd at a Companion Rate Deal. Valid on all twin fares, and single adult fares only).
- Please enquire for rail/fly package prices
Highlights & inclusions
- Historic Wellshot Hotel Dinner & Ilfracombe Tour
- Longreach School of Distance Education Tour
- Qantas Founders Museum & Jets Tour
- Drover’s Sunset Cruise including Smithy’s Outback Dinner & Show
- Winton Town Tour
- Australian Age of Dinosaurs Tour of Laboratory, Collection Room & Dinosaur Canyon
- Waltzing Matilda Centre
- Strathmore Station Smoko Tour
- Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame & Outback Stockman’s Show
- 4 nights en suite accommodation
- Touring with Savannah Guides Operator Driver-Guide
- Most meals (4 continental breakfasts; 4 dinners; 1 lunch)
- Entries/activities as per itinerary
- Longreach accommodation arrival/departure transfers
- Return First Class Overnight Rail Sleeper between Brisbane & Longreach – GET7 only
- *Summer Tour: Strathmore Station Smoko Tour is replaced with Rosebank Station Tour & Morning Tea