Day 1. Wednesday – Depart Australia (Meals-In-Flight)
Make your way to your selected Australian airport to depart for Europe.
Day 2. Thursday – Arrive Amsterdam (Meals in-Flight, D)
Arrive in Amsterdam and transfer to our hotel located in the heart of the city offering views of the Royal Palace and access to Amsterdam’s vibrant city centre. Rest up before meeting for pre-dinner drinks and dinner. 2 Night Stay: NH Collection Grand Krasnapolsky
Day 3. Friday – Amsterdam (B,D)
Joining our local guide we take a cruise through the city’s famous canals before visiting an historic merchant house to learn of the city’s trading history. We complete our touring arriving at Anne Frank House. Take time to explore the museum before enjoying the rest of the day indulging in the Amsterdam of your choice.
Day 4. Saturday – Free morning, Board Viking Longship Skadi (B,D)
This morning use your included tram pass to discover more of Amsterdam, perhaps visit the famed Van Gogh Museum or Rijksmuseum. Later we transfer to the Viking Longship Skadi, an award-winning vessel showcasing innovative engineering, understated elegance and unprecedented levels of comfort. We check-in to our spacious staterooms, each with a full-size verandah. 14 Night Stay Viking Longship Skadi, Verandah Staterooms
Day 5. Sunday – Kinderdijk (B,L,D)
Setting sail to Kinderdijk, we tour the ingenious network of windmills and flood management devices, entering a working windmill to see its mechanisms and living quarters. Later onboard we sample handcrafted Dutch cheeses and jenever (a distilled juniper liquor), and take in a presentation on the Dutch Golden Age.
Day 6. Monday – Cologne (B,L,D)
A morning tour of Cologne sees us visit the Dom, Germany’s largest cathedral. The rest of the day and evening is at your leisure to explore the city’s Roman ruins, interesting neighbourhoods and museums like the Fragrance Museum and the Chocolate Museum.
Day 7. Tuesday – Koblenz (B,L,D)
Cruising past hilltop castles along the Rhine we stop in Koblenz to take a tour of Marksburg Castle, the only Rhine fortress never destroyed. Back on-board we continue cruising this stunning stretch of the Rhine. Keep an eye out for the Lorelei Rock marking the river’s narrowest point and named after the legendary Rhine maiden who lured sailors to their demise.
Day 8. Wednesday – Miltenberg (B,L,D)
Sailing the beautiful Main River as it winds its way through the Spessart region, onboard we learn about the region’s glassblowing traditions during a live demonstration. Later we take a walking tour of Miltenberg, known for its halftimbered houses and Germany’s oldest inn.
Day 9. Thursday – Würzburg (B,L,D)
We spend today in Würzburg, the centre of the Franconian wine country. The city is known for its lavish baroque and rococo architecture so we take a tour of the Bishops’ Residenz, one of Germany’s largest and most ornate baroque palaces.
Day 10. Friday – Bamberg (B,L,D)
We sail through the morning to medieval Bamberg for a walking tour that includes a visit to the magnificent 11th century cathedral, and the picturesque city hall built on a tiny island in the middle of a river. Later, perhaps try some of the town’s distinctive smoke-flavoured beer.
Day 11. Saturday – Nuremberg (B,L,D)
In Nuremberg we visit the ruins of Zeppelin Field, the Nazi parade grounds of the 1930s; then see the Palace of Justice, site of the infamous Nuremberg Trials. Spend your free time exploring Nuremberg’s Old Town or join one of the optional tours that delves further into Germany’s wartime history.
Day 12. Sunday – Regensburg (B,L,D)
After lunch we arrive in Regensburg to tour the wonderfully preserved medieval city with its many 13th and 14th century patrician houses and splendid St. Peter’s Cathedral. Later you might like to visit the Alte Würstküche (Old Sausage Kitchen), Germany’s oldest restaurant
Day 13. Monday – Passau (B,L,D)
Arriving in Passau, at the confluence of the Inn, Ilz and Danube Rivers, our guided walk includes the Old Town, the New Bishop’s Residence and the impressive baroque St Stephen’s Cathedral with its ornate interior. Inside, we are treated to a special concert played on the 17,000-pipe organ, considered Europe’s largest church organ.
Day 14. Tuesday – Wachau Valley (B,L,D)
Today we visit the abbey at Melk, a 900-year-old Benedictine monastery featuring Austria’s finest Italian baroque architecture. Back onboard we cruise through the spectacular Wachau Valley and break to explore the time-honored town of Krems and see the Steiner Tor, the last remaining city gate.
Day 15. Wednesday – Vienna (B,L,D)
In the Austrian capital of Vienna we take a ride along the Ringstrasse and see the world-famous Opera House, St Stephen’s Cathedral and Hofburg Palace. Other options today include a visit to see the famed Lipizzaner Stallions, an art workshop inspired by the work of Gustav Klimt or a classical concert in the home of the waltz.
Day 16. Thursday – Vienna (B,L,D)
Enjoy a full day at leisure in Vienna with plenty to choose from. See the unrivaled collection of Old Masters at the Museum of Fine Arts, ride the world’s oldest Ferris wheel, visit Schönbrunn Palace or simply indulge in a slice of exquisite Sachertorte.
Day 17. Friday – Budapest (B,L,D)
In Budapest the Danube River divides Hungary’s capital city into the once separate towns of Buda and Pest. We explore both sides, starting with Pest’s National Opera House and historic Heroes’ Square before crossing the river to walk along Castle Hill to Fishermen’s Bastion and Matthias Church.
Day 18. Saturday – Prague (B,L,D)
We disembark early for our flight to Prague where our local guide takes us on a tour of Prague Castle before we cross the famous Charles Bridge to the Old Town Square to see the famous Astronomical Clock. 2 Night Stay: NH Collection Prague
Day 19. Sunday – Prague (B,L,D)
Travelling through the scenic Bohemian countryside we arrive in the medieval town of Český Krumlov where our expert guide will take us to see the church of St Vitus, the historic town centre and the Český Krumlov Castle, dating back to 1240. Returning to Prague we celebrate the end of our tour with a finale dinner.
Day 20. Monday – Depart Prague (B, Meals in flight)
Enjoy a late check-out and free time before we transfer to the airport for our flights home.
Day 21. Tuesday – Arrive Australia (Meals In-flight)
Late night arrival into Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne.
B = Full Breakfast; MT = M/Tea; L = Lunch; AT = A/Tea; D = Two Course Dinner
dates & pricing
- Non-refundable deposit of $3000pp required to secure your reservation.
- N.B. Tour price is subject to change due to currency fluctuations and fuel levies applicable to services.
- Flights, including airline and departure time, are arranged at the discretion of Viking Cruises, and are included when booked at least 6 months prior to departure.
- Within 6 months of departure flights will incur an additional cost.
- Guests may nominate a specific airline/include a stopover for an additional fee. Check at time of reservation.
- Australian passport holders minimum validity for travel must be 6 months from date of return to Australia. Non-Australian passport citizens are required to seek independent advice for passport validity and entry visa, and ensure all is correct prior to travel to Europe.
- Prices & dates are correct as at 6 September 2019 and are based on the exchange rates at time of publication and may be adjusted if rate fluctuations affect the price to be paid for services.
- Any price increase is to be paid by the guest, and at this time, if guest chooses to cancel, all monies paid/held will be forfeited.
- Due to international terms & conditions, balance of payment for this tour will be required 125 days prior to departure and at this time 100% cancellation fees apply.
- Travel Insurance is compulsory and it is recommended that it be purchased at time of paying deposit.
- Tour passengers will require a clearance letter (provided by Fun Over Fifty) from their local GP for travel.
- FITNESS LEVEL – A RATING OF 3 (ACTIVE/MODERATE) Passengers must be able to:-
• Participate in walking tours without having to stop or sit down to rest for up to 20 minutes
• Walk up an incline equal to a flight of stairs, without stopping
• Stand for 30 minutes, without needing to sit down
• Walk over uneven ground, tackle cobbled creek crossings & walk through soft sand
• Get on and off transportation multiple times unaided
• Manage your own luggage