Day 1. Saturday – Depart Sydney, arrive Sandton (Meals In Flight, D)
Depart from Sydney International Airport for Johannesburg, crossing the international dateline. Upon our arrival at Tambo International Airport, we are met by private transfer guides who will escort us to our vehicle for transfer to the hotel. **We strongly recommend arriving in Sydney the day prior in case of delays. Pre tour extenders available. 2 Night Stay: Michelangelo Hotel, Sandton
Day 2. Sunday – Sandton (B,D)
Recovery day today, enjoy a lie in before doing some discovering of your own. We will gather tonight for dinner. **Lunch is at your own expense today
Day 3/4. Monday/Tuesday – On-board the Blue Train (B,L,D)
This afternoon we board the famous Blue Train for a 2 night journey from Pretoria to Cape Town. Enjoy pure indulgence as we travel through some of the most diverse and spectacular scenery. Included is an off-train excursion in Kimberley, where we visit the Big Hole and Diamond Mine Museum. All meals are freshly prepared on board the train, and carefully selected South African wines complement the gourmet cuisine served. 2 Night Journey: Blue Train
Day 5. Wednesday – Arrive Cape Town (B,D)
We enjoy breakfast on board, before arriving at Cape Town Station mid morning. After transferring to our hotel on the waterfront, we have the day at leisure to explore the city at our own pace. Tonight we celebrate the African culture and food, with an unforgettable dinner and show at GOLD Restaurant. **Lunch is at your own expense today. 4 Night Stay: Table Bay Hotel, Cape Town
Day 6. Thursday – Cape Town (B,L,D)
This morning we embark on a half-day guided Cape Town City & Table Mountain tour. On this tour we will really get a feel for the “Mother City”, visiting many historical and cultural sights including the Castle of Good Hope and the colourful cottages of Bo-Kaap. We then take a trip to the top of the world, high above the clouds on the famous Aerial Tramway to Table Mountain, where we are greeted with 360 degree views of the surrounding area.
Day 7. Friday – Cape Town (B,L,D)
Today we enjoy a full day exploring the Cape Winelands region. Stellenbosch and Paarl make up the two largest wine growing districts in South Africa, and Franschhoek has a very European feel with its stunning mountain views and small producers. We take the Cape Winelands principal route, exploring vast estates and taking in the natural beauty of the area while savouring the wines that the area is famous for.
Day 8. Saturday – Cape Town (B,L,D)
After breakfast, we set out to discover the Cape Peninsula, taking the famous scenic drive to Chapman’s Peak, before reaching the Cape of Good Hope. We ride The Flying Dutchman Funicular up to the lighthouse at 286 metres above sea level, taking in spectacular views. Our afternoon is spent at Boulders Beach, home of an endangered land based colony of African penguins. Lastly, after a Seal Island cruise, we explore the diverse beauty of Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden, which is set up against Cape Town’s iconic Table Mountain.
Day 9. Sunday – Zimbabwe (B,L,D)
Fly from Cape Town to Victoria Falls, where we are transferred to our Safari Club Resort, situated on a plateau just 4km from the majestic Victoria Falls. A free afternoon to enjoy game viewing from the comfort of the lodge’s viewing deck, pool deck or over drinks at the Buffalo Bar. Late this afternoon, we enjoy a Sundowner Cruise on the Zambezi River before returning to the resort for dinner. 2 Night Stay: Victoria Falls Safari Club, Zimbabwe. **Australian passport holders must obtain a visa on arrival in Zimbabwe. Approximate cost is $50USD.
Day 10. Monday – Zimbabwe (B,L,D)
Following breakfast, we take a guided tour of the majestic Victoria Falls, one of the seven wonders of the world. Known locally as Mosi-oa-Tunya (the smoke that thunders), tonnes of water plunge over a chasm that is nearly 2km wide, falling more than 100m to the Zambezi River below. We return to the hotel just in time for lunch, and view the spectacular arrival of hundreds of vultures swooping down for their daily feed. This evening, we visit the Boma Restaurant for a cultural dinner with entertainment
Day 11. Tuesday – Sandton (B,D)
Today we return to Johannesburg, transferring to the Michelangelo Hotel on arrival. Enjoy a free day to explore at your own pace. **Lunch is at your own expense today. 1 Night Stay: Michelangelo Hotel, Sandton
Day 12. Wednesday – Kruger National Park
We are transferred to Tambo International Airport for our flight to Hoedspruit. Upon arrival, we are met and transferred to our camp lodge. Settle in and enjoy the surrounds of the lodge, maybe take a refreshing dip. 3 Night Stay: Kapama River Lodge, Kruger National Park. **Stay includes all meals, local brand drinks and scheduled safari activities.
Day 13/14. Thursday/Friday – Hoedspruit (B,L,D)
There are plenty of ways to encounter the Big 5 here, from guided game drives to interpretive bush walks. When not out on game drives or guided bush walks, the pool deck around the sparkling rim flow swimming pool is the place to be or in the shady lounges with a good book and cocktail in hand. Cuisine at the lodge is exemplary, with breakfast and lunch served in the Siyadla Lounge, and dinner enjoyed around the roaring fire in the open-sided thatch boma.
Day 15. Saturday – Sandton (B)
We return to Johannesburg and are transferred to the Michelangelo Hotel. Following the afternoon at leisure, we meet for a farewell dinner. 1 Night Stay: Michelangelo Hotel, Sandton. **Lunch is at your own expense today.
Day 16.Sunday – Discover Soweto, Flight to Sydney (B,L, Meals in-flight))
Today we take a full day guided tour to discover Soweto and the surrounding area, viewing such landmarks as Nelson Mandela’s old house, Desmond Tutu’s house and the Hector Pieterson Memorial. Afterwards, we spend a couple of hours exploring the Apartheid Museum, discovering the history of this era. Following our day, we are transferred to Tambo International Airport for our overnight flight home.
Day 17. Monday – Arrive Sydney (Meals in Flight)
Our flight is scheduled to arrive back into Sydney mid-afternoon.
B = Full Breakfast; MT = M/Tea; L = Lunch; AT = A/Tea; D = Two Course Dinner
dates & pricing
- Non-refundable deposit of $2500pp required to secure your reservation.
- Price includes round-trip economy class flights ex Sydney to Johannesburg (Flight times and prices are subject to change).
- Includes airline taxes at time of printing but subject to change without notice.
- Prices & dates are correct as at 6 September 2019 and are based on the exchange rates at time of publication and may be adjusted if rate fluctuations affect the price to be paid for services.
- Any price increase is to be paid by the guest, and at this time, if guest chooses to cancel, all monies paid/held will be forfeited.
- Passports must be valid for 6 months from date of return to Australia.
- **Departure fees/taxes may apply and are not included.
- International terms and conditions apply to this tour series, requiring balance of payment 120 days prior to departure and at this time 100% cancellation fees apply.
- Passports issued outside of Australia, please contact our office for Visa requirements.
- Tour Passengers will require a clearance letter (provided by Fun Over Fifty) from their local GP for travel.
- A Visa entry fee of approx USD$50 (TBC) may apply during this tour for all guests.
- FITNESS LEVEL – A RATING OF 3 (ACTIVE/MODERATE) Passengers must be able to:-
• Participate in walking tours without having to stop or sit down to rest for up to 20 minutes
• Walk up an incline equal to a flight of stairs, without stopping
• Stand for 30 minutes, without needing to sit down
• Walk over uneven ground, tackle cobbled creek crossings & walk through soft sand
• Get on and off transportation multiple times unaided
• Manage your own luggage