DAY 1. Wednesday – Brisbane to Roma (MT,L,D)
Departing on one of Fun Over Fifty’s signature opulent ‘Diamond Class’ or luxury ‘Gold Class’ coaches from Brisbane Transit Centre on Roma Street, we travel through the rich fertile area of the Lockyer Valley, arriving at Picnic Point Toowoomba for a cuppa, taking time to admire the stunning view. We continue through Dalby, breaking for lunch at Chinchilla, then make our way to Roma. 1 Night Stay: Explorers Inn, Roma
DAY 2. Thursday – Roma to Carnarvon Gorge (B,MT,L,D)
We set out early this morning, making our way into Carnarvon Gorge National Park. On arrival over a cuppa we meet our local nature guide to listen to a brief overview of our walk to the lush Moss Gardens. Carnarvon Gorge is an oasis hidden in the rugged ranges of Queensland’s Central Highlands. Featuring towering white sandstone cliff s, spectacular scenery, incredible bushwalks, pockets of rainforest, amazing diversity of ﬂ ora and fauna. The Moss Gardens has water dripping constantly from the sandstone walls, supporting a lush carpet of mosses, ferns and liverworts. Beneath tree ferns straining for sunlight, a small waterfall tumbles over a rock ledge into an icy pool. We stop and enjoy a packed lunch surrounded by beautiful wilderness. Our afternoon takes out of the National Park, traveling to the town of Springsure. 1 Night Stay: Springsure Overland Motel
DAY 3. Friday – Springsure to Yeppoon (B,L,D)
Departing Springsure, we break at Westward for a cuppa, before making our way via Rockhampton to Koorana Crocodile Farm, home to over 3,000 saltwater crocodiles. Enjoy a fascinating insight and tour of a commercial crocodile farm, not your everyday tourism theme park. Take a guided tour of the farm, where the excitement of seeing crocodile feeding is something you won’t match anywhere. From here we travel on to the coastal town of Emu Park to visit the Singing Ship monument that commemorates the area’s legacy of the historical explorations of Captain James Cook. We ﬁ nish our afternoon taking a scenic drive along the Capricorn Coast showcasing 13 beautiful beaches before checking into our beachfront accommodation.
3 Night Stay: Oceanview Rooms, Salt Yeppoon
DAY 4. Saturday – Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Cruise (B,L,D)
Today we cruise through the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, the largest heritage listed area in the world. On arrival our cruise crew will advise times for our glass bottom boat venture for a coral viewing and ﬁsh feeding tour. The glass-bottom boat tour is a quiet, relaxed alternative for those wishing to view the wonders of the eef and spectacular marine life without even getting their feet wet. We then get some free time on the island, enjoying lunch whilst cruising the group of Keppel Islands. Time this afternoon to snorkel or those who dare Boomnetting. Tonight, we get together for a dinner and show at Footlights Theatre Restaurant where we enjoy a top-class comedy variety show and three course dinner.
DAY 5. Sunday – Capricorn Caves, Rockhampton Botanic Gardens and Zoo (B,MT,L,D)
This morning we explore the unique Capricorn Caves for a 1-hour underground tour of Cathedral Cave. Follow your experienced guide into the brightly lit limestone cavern that contains rare ferns, massive tree roots, and some small bats. The high-domed Cathedral Cave is renowned for its acoustics and as a setting for special events. Near the ﬁnishing point of the tour, you can pass through the pioneer passage and walk across a suspended swinging bridge in the rainforest. From here we visit heritage listed Rockhampton Botanic Gardens and Zoo. Enjoy lunch here before free time to browse these spectacular gardens and if you wish watch the zoo keepers feed the local residents. Discover more than 60 species of native and exotic animals.
DAY 6/7. Monday & Tuesday – Yeppoon to Heron Island (B,L,D)
From Yeppoon we are transferred to Gladstone Marina to board the Heron Island fast cat. Located in the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef, Heron Island is a haven for nature lovers and is surrounded by pristine beaches and brilliant blue waters. Enjoy two nights at Heron Island Resort, where we join naturalist eco guides for daily activities discovering the birdlife, reef walk the coral cay formations, and discover native flora and fauna. We check-in to our Reef Rooms, which are located near the beach and offer reef views with a living area which extends out to a private balcony or garden. At low tide, we take the reef walk that will expose some of the most fascinating creatures found on the coral reef. **Please note: Fast cat transfers take 2 hours and are in open waters. Those who suffer motion sickness are advised to take the necessary precautions. Optionally, at additional expense you may like to organise return helicopter transfers from Gladstone. 2 Night Stay: Heron Island Resort in Reef Rooms
DAY 8. Wednesday – Heron Island to 1770 (B,L,D)
We enjoy a leisurely morning on beautiful Heron Island, before an early afternoon departure on the fast cat ferry. Back on the mainland, we take a short journey to the Town of 1770. 2 Night Stay: Lagoons 1770 Resort & Spa
DAY 9. Thursday – 1770 (B,MT,L,D)
This morning we take the ideal getaway on the Pink Amphibious LARC. The Paradise Tour takes us along the coastline of Eurimbula National Park, where we are given commentary on wildlife and the history of Bustard Bay. We cross four tidal creeks and take a 4WD tour up the steep climb to the historic Bustard Head Light Station. Return to Lagoons 1770 Resort & Spa.
DAY 10. Friday – Return to Brisbane (B,MT,L)
Homeward bound this morning, we break at historic Childers for a cuppa and time to visit the Palace Backpackers Memorial. After lunch in Gympie, we make our way back to the Brisbane Transit Centre arriving at approximately 4:30pm.
B = Full Breakfast; MT = M/Tea; L = Lunch; AT = A/Tea; D = Two Course Dinner
dates & pricing
|Class||Twin Share||Sole Use||Departs 2020|
- Non-refundable deposit of $800pp required to secure your reservation.
- N.B. This package is subject to a fuel levy without notice for air and coach components.
- FITNESS LEVEL – A RATING OF 3 (ACTIVE/MODERATE) Passengers must be able to:-
• Participate in walking tours without having to stop or sit down to rest for up to 20 minutes
• Walk up an incline equal to a flight of stairs, without stopping
• Stand for 30 minutes, without needing to sit down
• Walk over uneven ground, tackle cobbled creek crossings & walk through soft sand
• Get on and off transportation multiple times unaided
• Manage your own luggage
Highlights & inclusions
- Choice of opulent ‘Diamond Class’ or luxury ‘Gold Class’ coach travel
- 1 night Roma; visit to Picnic Point Toowoomba and lunch at Chinchilla
- Visit Carnarvon Gorge National Park with guided nature walk through Moss Gardens
- 1 night Springsure
- Koorana Crocodile Farm; visiting Singing Ship; driving along the Capricorn Coast
- 3 nights oceanview rooms Yeppoon
- Cruise the Great Barrier Reef & Keppel Islands
- Glass bottom boat and ﬁ sh feeding tour
- Visit the heritage listed Rockhampton Botanical Gardens and Zoo
- Footlights Theatre Restaurant
- 2 nights Heron Island Resort with daily naturalist eco & bird watching tours and reef walks on the coral cay at low tide
- 2 nights Town of 1770
- Full day amphibious LARC tour
- 28 meals
- ‘Diamond Class’ tours include a beverage package each evening with dinner **(standard beer, wine, spirits and soft drink capped to a bar tab not unlimited)
PRE & POST TOUR EXTENDER OPTION
- 2 additional days (TOTAL 12 DAY TOUR)
- Return economy class flights ex Sydney, Melbourne or Adelaide to Brisbane
- 2 additional nights bed & breakfast (1 night pre & 1 night post tour) at Sofitel Brisbane Central
- Return Airtrain tickets ex Brisbane Domestic Terminal to Central Station
- Plus $860pp Twin Share
- Plus $1025 Sole Use
- Subject to availability – some block out dates apply. Prices are subject to change without notice