DAY 1 Monday – Arrive Darwin (D)
Flights arrive in Darwin early afternoon where we join our local coach captain to travel to the Darwin Museum & Art Gallery, depicting the destructive force of Cyclone Tracy and a display of indigenous art. We take a brief city orientation tour before checking-in to our hotel. 2 Night Stay: SKYCITY Hotel & Casino, Darwin
DAY 2 Tuesday – Darwin & Surrounds (B,L,D)
This morning we visit the Darwin Military Museum before travelling the Arnhem Highway to Corroboree Park Tavern for crocodile feeding. We then board our vessel to depart on the Wildlands Wetlands Safari where we see the magnificent Billabong and Mary River Wetlands. Discover a natural wonderland, home to the world’s highest natural concentration of saltwater crocodiles, and discover colourful flora and wildlife including wallabies, jabiru, sea eagles, kites, kingfishers, brolgas, buffalo and jacanas. We return to our hotel to get ready for dinner out where we feast on a sumptuous seafood and BBQ banquet, whilst admiring the spectacular sunset over Darwin Harbour.
DAY 3 Wednesday – Board The Ghan, Nitmiluk (Katherine) Gorge (B,L,D)
Our journey aboard the legendary Ghan begins at Darwin Rail Station where we take the small but momentous step from platform to carriage. On board meals in the Queen Adelaide Restaurant are bound to satisfy and delight with culinary wonders prepared onboard by talented chefs. Upon our arrival in Katherine be ready to experience an off train excursion to the magnificent and spiritual Nitmiluk (Katherine) Gorge. Enjoy a leisurely cruise on the idyllic Katherine River, gazing in awe at the towering sandstone cliffs whilst learning the Aboriginal and geological history of the area. Alternatively, you can gain a moving insight into the culture and ways of the traditional owners of Nitmiluk, the Jawoyn people, with an exclusive tailor-made cultural experience. If you’d prefer to ramp it up a notch, you’re welcome to upgrade your excursion with a helicopter flight or scenic flight over Kakadu and Nitmiluk National Parks (additional expense, bookings taken on train). 3 Night Stay: Gold Service on the Ghan
DAY 4 Thursday – Alice Springs, optional scenic flight, Outback Bush BBQ (B,L,D)
Wake up to an outback sunrise, one of the most spectacular you’ll ever see, setting the tone for the day ahead. We arrive in Alice Springs and have another day of explorations for you to choose from; embark on one of the included off train excursions, taking in the delights of this famous outback town. A full day in Alice Springs gives you ample opportunity to visit the town landmarks, get up close and personal with Australia’s incredible flora and fauna or explore the Alice at your own leisure. At this point you may choose to upgrade your excursion with the ultimate outback experience; an intimate scenic fixed wing flight over Alice Springs and the surrounding MacDonnell Ranges. There really is no better way to comprehend the vastness of the Northern Territory (additional expense). Come the evening you’ll dine beneath a canopy of stars at an authentic Outback Bush BBQ set in a strikingly lit quarry. This is a truly unique experience with live Australiana music and a feast of mouth-watering steak and traditionally made damper.
DAY 5 Friday – Coober Pedy, Breakaways (B,L,D)
After breakfast this morning you’ll wake up and rub your eyes with disbelief as we pull into the middle-of-nowhere stop at Manguri. Here, a friendly tour guide awaits ready to whisk you away for the day. Your destination – the sun-scorched opal mining capital of the world, Coober Pedy, where more than half of the residents live underground. Venture into the tunnels and caves of this underground town, where you may even catch opal fever as you mine for riches, visit the otherworldly underground Serbian Orthodox church and glimpse the famous Coober Pedy Golf Course – the only course in the world boasting reciprocal rights with St Andrews Links course in Scotland. Below the earth’s surface, you’ll enjoy a gourmet lunch in the most unique of locations before setting off to the stunning outback moonscape that is the Breakaways.
DAY 6 Saturday – Disembark The Ghan, Arrive Adelaide (B,L,D)
From the train this morning we see a dramatic change in landscape as the rich ochre tones of the outback make way for the beautiful green fields and pastoral lands of South Australia. The Ghan is scheduled to roll into Adelaide at 12.50pm where we meet our local coach captain. We begin our Adelaide experience by climbing high into the by climbing high into the Mount Lofty Ranges to take in the awe-inspiring views of the city and beyond, and enjoy a late light lunch at The Summit Café. Next, we transfer to Adelaide to check-in and take advantage of some free time this afternoon. 2 Night Stay: Hotel Grand Chancellor, Adelaide
DAY 7 Sunday – Barossa Valley (B,MT,L,D)
Leaving the city of the Barossa Valley, our first stop today is the “whispering wall” at the Barossa Reservoir where we experience the unusual acoustic phenomenon of sound travelling from one side to the other over 140 metres. Next we discover Barossa Sculpture Park at Menglers Hill with its spectacular views. At the grand Barossa Chateau, we enjoy morning tea followed by a tour of the grounds and antique shop before taking in lunch in the beautiful surrounds. We return to Adelaide where tonight we enjoy farewell drinks and toast to newfound friends.
DAY 8 Monday – Flights home (B)
A relaxed start to the day before we transfer to Adelaide airport for our respective flights home.
B = Full Breakfast; MT = M/Tea; L = Lunch; AT = A/Tea; D = Two Course Dinner
dates & pricing
|Twin Share||Sole Use||Departs 2018|
- Non-refundable deposit required to secure booking $1200pp
- his package is subject to a fuel levy without notice for air, coach and rail component.
- Rail prices are correct at time of printing but are subject to change.
- Great Southern Rail twin share cabins include en-suite facilities, single cabins include a wash basin in the cabin and shared shower and toilet facilities within the carriage.
- FITNESS LEVEL – A RATING OF 3 (ACTIVE/MODERATE) Passengers must be able to:-
• Participate in walking tours without having to stop or sit down to rest for up
to 20 minutes
• Walk up an incline equal to a flight of stairs, without stopping
• Stand for 30 minutes, without needing to sit down
• Walk over uneven ground, tackle cobbled creek crossings & walk through soft sand
• Getting on and off transportation multiple times unaided
• Manage your own luggage
Highlights & inclusions
- Economy class flights to Darwin and from Adelaide ex Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne
- 2 nights 5 star Darwin
- Darwin Museum and Art Gallery
- Darwin city orientation tour
- Darwin Military Museum
- Corroboree Park Tavern crocodile feeding
- Wildlands Wetlands Safari including Corroboree Billabong and Mary River Wetlands
- Darwin sunset seafood and BBQ banquet
- 3 nights The Ghan in Gold Service from Darwin to Adelaide with premium dining including all on-board meals and beverages
- Nitmiluk Gorge cruise on the Katherine River
- Alice Springs off-train excursions
- Alice Springs outback bush BBQ with live Australiana music
- Off-train excursion tour to Coober Pedy including the underground Serbian
- Orthodox Church and The Breakaways
- Mount Lofty
- 2 nights Adelaide CBD
- Barossa Reservoir ‘whispering wall’
- Barossa Sculpture Park at Menglers Hill
- Barossa Chateau tour and lunch
- 20 meals