Day 1: Saturday – Adelaide
Arrive into Adelaide where you will be transferred by private vehicle to your accommodation. This evening enjoy a welcome dinner. Overnight at Majestic Roof Garden Adelaide. (D)
Day 2 Sunday: The Ghan – Adelaide to Alice Springs
After breakfast, transfer to the Adelaide Parklands Terminal for The Ghan departure at 12:15pm. After boarding, your first day on The Ghan begins with a light lunch in the Queen Adelaide Restaurant as you travel north towards Spencer Gulf and Port Augusta. Settle into your Gold Service sleeper cabin or enjoy a drink with your tour escort and fellow passengers in the Outback Explorer Lounge. Overnight onboard The Ghan. (BLD)
Day 3: Monday – The Ghan – Alice Springs to Katherine
This morning stop in Marla and witness an unforgettable Outback sunrise. Take in views of the Central Australian desert as you journey to Alice Springs. Arrive in Alice Springs early afternoon and enjoy an Off Train Excursion. Choose from one of three excursions including a tour of Alice Springs Desert Park, Alice Explorer town tour or a Simpsons Gap Discovery Walk. Re-board the train and continue your journey north. Overnight onboard The Ghan. (BD)
Day 4 Tuesday: The Ghan – Katherine to Darwin
Arrive in Katherine this morning. Enjoy an Off Train Excursion of Katherine Gorge. Choose from several Off Train Excursion tours including a Nitmiluk Gorge cruise or a Nitmiluk Gorge Rock Art cruise. Continue the journey to Darwin. On arrival, transfer to Hilton Darwin where you will stay for the next three nights. (BL)
Day 5 Wednesday: Darwin
Spend the morning discovering Darwin on a city sights tour – the perfect introduction to Darwin. See the Chinese Temple and the lush Botanic Gardens. Tour the historic sites of the city including East Point Precinct, Stokes Hill Wharf area and the Mooring Basin. There is also time to explore the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory before returning to the hotel to enjoy the rest of the day at leisure. This evening transfer to Stokes Hill Wharf, for a sunset harbour cruise. Take in a memorable Darwin sunset as you dine on a delicious Territory style buffet. (BD)
Day 6 Thursday: Litchfield National Park
After breakfast, join the Litchfield Waterfalls tour. Spend the day exploring Litchfield National Park’s spectacular waterfalls and cascades and see the amazing Magnetic and Cathedral termite mounds. Return to Darwin by approximately 6pm. Once back in Darwin, you can choose to either relax at the hotel or visit the Mindil Beach Sunset Markets. Renowned for awesome sunsets over the sea and home to over 200 local stalls, delicious food and drink. (BL)
Day 7 Friday: Darwin
Enjoy breakfast at the hotel before being transferred to Darwin Airport. (B)
dates & pricing
- The contents of Off Train Excursions are subject to change without notice.
- All arrangements are subject to cancellation or modification due to inclement weather, late running of train or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Great Southern Rail does not own, operate or control Off Train Excursions.
- To the extent permitted by law, Great Southern Rail is not responsible for any injury, death, loss, accident, delay or irregularity whatsoever or expenses incurred resulting from a third party supplier’s acts or omissions.
- The travel services provided by these suppliers are subject to the conditions imposed by the suppliers and their liability may be limited by their tariffs, conditions of carriage, and agreements.
- All Inclusive fares include: Private sleeper cabin, all meals and standard beverages on train and standard Off Train Excursions are included in the package fare.
- Information required at time of booking – full name; including title, initial & surname as per ID, any information relating to Dietary/Mobility/Medical requirements and mobile contact number.
- A moderate level of fitness is required to participate in this tour, a Health Fitness Form must be completed prior to deposit payment being made.
- 20% deposit required within 5 days after reservation.
- Final payment is due 125 days prior to travel.
- Booking conditions and cancellation fees apply